It may seem ridiculous to consider “Game of Thrones'” victory at the Emmys as Best Drama Series an upset, but it was, according to the 22 of the 27 Experts polled by Gold Derby. Only five of them foresaw the HBO cult hit reclaiming the crown it last seized two and three years ago before taking a year off from Hollywood award wars.
In its absence last year, “The Handmaid’s Tale” reigned as champ, making history when a streaming service (Hulu) won Best Drama Series for the first time ever. It was such a popular victory that 17 Experts believed “Handmaid’s” would prevail again. Five pundits (including me) bet on “The Americans.”
Pundits made the mistake of dismissing “Game of Thrones” in the current derby because its episodes aired so long ago – last summer. Often it’s true: out of sight, out of mind in cruel Hollywood. By comparison, episodes of “Handmaid’s” rolled out just months ago and could be seen as urgent elements of today’s zeitgeist. Most dramatic: that row of gloomy handmaids we saw standing ominously outside the U.S. Senate hearings on the Supreme Court appointment of Brett Kavanaugh.
We should’ve paid more attention to the warning sound of “Thrones'” advancing armies last weekend at the Creative Arts Emmys where it conquered seven categories. “Handmaid’s” only won three. “Handmaid’s” was not nominated in some categories claimed by “Thrones,” but where they did square off, each show traded off victories. Neither show soundly crushed the other.
- ‘Game of Thrones’ reclaimed its crown in a dramatic coup at the Emmys
- Gold Derby Editor Tom O’Neil’s fearless,100% perfect, infallible, brilliant Emmy predictions
- Emmy predictions slugfest: Gold Derby editors Tom O’Neil vs. Paul Sheehan (Everybody, duck!) [PODCAST]
- OMG, I can’t believe I’m predicting ‘A Star Is Born’ will win the Best Picture Oscar!
- Tom O’Neil’s Inside Track: Oscars update after Telluride and Venice Film Festivals
- Emmy Experts: ‘Mrs. Maisel’ overtakes ‘Atlanta’ (again) in squeaker race for Best Comedy Series
- Oscar Experts: ‘BlacKkKlansman’ leads the Best Picture race … for now
- 2019 Oscar predictions: ‘First Man’ and ‘BlacKKKlansman’ lead Best Picture race, according to 650 Gold Derby users
- NatGeo’s ‘Jane’ gets 1/4 odds at the Emmys to wreak revenge against the Oscars
- Tom O’Neil on new, stricter monitoring of Emmy voters: ‘It’s magnificently cruel!’
1A Star Is Born10/1
8Crazy Rich Asians100/1
9If Beale Street Could Talk11/1
10Can You Ever Forgive Me?100/1
- Updated on: 25 Sep 18, 14:58 pm PT